Hi, I’m Brad. I write this on a clear summer morning in August of 2019. I am compelled to write to you because I have a life purpose. Well, 3 purposes in 1. Because of my new life in Christ, I live to
(Might I add that I love to worship, create and encourage…)
1 Corinthians 10:31 says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.” From that, I have understood that my life purpose is to “do everything for the glory of God.” Everything.
Now, I confess immediately that I don’t do everything all the time for the glory of God. I’m not proud of that. It’s just a fact of my humanity, even in my redemption from “my empty way of life” (1 Pet. 1:18). I sin. I stumble. I fall. It’s just there as a reality of life. (This doesn’t mean that I am helpless…oh, no, far from helpless. But more on that at another time.)
But, even though I fail, I can say with Paul that I make it my aim (2 Cor. 5:9) to do everything for the glory of God. And in that one central purpose, I have discerned 3 particular ways that I strive to fulfill. And in my effort to live out those 3 purposes, one result is this communication with you, dear reader.
My life and your life and the intersection
I will be developing these themes over the next few posts. But let me sum up my central reason for writing to you. I want to help you to worship the living God. Therefore, my writing will aim to advance these themes.
- help – my ongoing prayer is that I will write something helpful to you. I’m not a deep theologian, but I am a theologian (as are you…). So, my writing will not be profound or revolutionary. But I pray it is helpful in that you will be able to understand it and in some way apply it
- you – I have taken the writing form of a personal address to you, my dear reader. Some of you I will know personally, and some not. But I will strive to maintain a personal address to you as though you are a dear friend for whom I want the very best in life.
- worship – I have taken in my life a central purpose of worship. I will encourage you to do the same. I will attempt to do so creatively. There are those three words again. For you, I hope you find your key words for life.
- living – these are written that you may live a God-glorifying, others-helping life NOW. You are living now. I am living now. I seek to help you (and me) live a life of meaning NOW, because in doing so, we are preparing for an eternity of enjoying a fuller experience of joy in Christ. We can only do so perfectly in His presence as we strive to do so now imperfectly.
- God – There is one God and one Mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ (1 Tim. 2:5). My ultimate aim is that you and I would know Him and love Him and live for Him above all and at all cost, forsaking all else for the supreme joy of knowing him (Phil. 3:7-8). We come to know God the Father through Jesus the Son by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Join me on the journey
I make only the promise of weekly posts. This may increase at times. Because I am a pastor with a full rich life, there may be times when the frequency may be less. There may be times when I will explode with several in the course of a few days. But, I’d rather under-promise and over-deliver.
You can subscribe to this through WordPress. You can follow me on Twitter @oh_magnify. I’ll also cross-post notices on Facebook at shbcspokane. And, I’ll post notices on my Instagram account thgmusic. Feel free to follow where you like.
I do moderate the comments on my posts. I enjoy civil discourse, but reserve the right to not allow verbally abusive posts.
I’ll see you next time.